£1,500 including VAT and font licences.
About On the Record: inspiring social change with oral history
On the Record (www.on-the-record.org.uk) specialises in oral history that inspires social change. Since 2012, we have trained hundreds of people to record the memories of people and places that would otherwise be lost. We share the stories we gather through creative, high quality productions: podcasts, artworks, books, exhibitions, websites and audio walks.
Our innovative oral history projects have seen us bringing the rich social, personal and political history of London to life. We have gathered memories from places as diverse as Speakers’ Corner in Hyde Park, community projects like Centerprise (Hackney) and the First Neighbourhood Co-operative Nursery (Walthamstow), two historic London hospitals and Brompton Cemetery. We have recorded orators and hecklers, community activists and literacy students, specialist medical staff and patients, parents and childcare workers, gravediggers and beekeepers. We work in partnership with leading archives such as Bishopsgate Institute.
Part 1: New logo and typography style-guide to be integrated across print and web. Fonts chosen to be accessible on both Mac and Windows.
Part 2: The website
- Mobile optimised, minimal, contemporary & professional, as befits an established community arts organisation.
- This rebrand is anticipated to last 5 years, so we would like to avoid design fads.
- We require a simple CMS so we can update.
- Each project/type of work has used different photographers, illustrators etc., so we don’t have uniform visuals for the home page. This means that the graphic visual identity must be strong enough to create a feeling of consistency.
- Accessible for disabled users: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/accessibility-requirements-for-public-sector-websites-and-apps
The website should showcase the types of work we do on the main homepage. These are:
– project management / coordination (we run our own projects and our website needs to be a portal to these microsites and provide space for us to build pages to showcase smaller projects that don’t have their own website. See https://on-the-record.org.uk/projects/ – this section urgently needs improvement)
– trainings (we have promotional material to sell our oral history training better and would like to showcase this on the site)
– audio production (podcasts, audiowalks, radio programs)
– exhibitions and public art,
– publications / books,
– consultancy and services (assistance with project management, evaluation, life story recording, participatory archiving, project delivery).
Other requirements for the website:
– clients and collaborators to be prominently listed.
– easy links to mailing list, twitter, Instagram and PayPal donations. Potentially a tab for volunteer and job opportunities (to replace the outdated news section of the current website).
– attractive integrated audio playback feature with dropdown transcripts, because we don’t want to rely on SoundCloud embeds or similar.
How to apply
Please send a briefcovering letter with links to your design portfolio, explaining how you would approach the commission.
It would be helpful to include references to websites and digital work, which meet various aspects of our brief, so we can begin a conversation with you.
Contact: Laura Mitchison: laura@on-the-record, cc-ing email@example.com
Deadline: 14th January 2020, 5pm.